After lot of self-encouragement,self-enthusiasm,i decided to try Chicken Chettinad.It was a hit.M gave two thumbs up for this home made dish.I am glad to share it with you all.
- Chicken - with bones 1/2 or 1 pound cut into medium sized pieces
- Onion - 2 medium sized chopped
- Tomato - 2 large chopped
- Powders - 1 tsp each of red chilli and turmeric
- Lime juice - 2 tsp or about 1/2 lime
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves - 8 to 10 Stripes
- Coriander/Cilantro leaves - finely chopped for garnishing
- Poppy seeds (khus khus) - 2 tsp
- Whole red chillies - 6
- Coconut - grated 6 tblspn
- Seeds - 1 tspn each of coriander, cumin, fennel and black pepper
- Cinnamon -1" piece broken
- Cloves,Green cardamoms - 2 each
- Ginger,Garlic - 2 tsp each,chopped
In a kadai,heat little oil, roast all the ingredients for the paste except for ginger and garlic. Allow to cool and grind to a paste along with ginger and garlic.
Pic : roasted ingredinats for the paste
Serve hot with white rice/Chapati/Naan.
Heat the rest oil in a kadai and fry the onions till they are golden brown. Add the curry leaves, the ground paste , turmeric and red chilli powders. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and fry for about another 2 minutes.At this stage,the oil starts leaving the sides of the pan.If not fry for more time.Then add the chicken and mix well. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.Add the lemon juice and water.Add salt and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or till the chicken is fully cooked.Garnish with coriander leaves.Pic : Chicken Chettinad
- Adding more curry leaves give a distinct flavor
- Can make it little dry or gravy depending on your taste (for dry,allow the chicken to cook for more than 20 minutes during the last stage).
Recipe Source www.syvum.com